Saturday 7 February 2015

Time Management

Where should I start with time management. This is a very big topic and a substantially important one. Time management is such a large factor and life principle that is implemented in mundane activities. It is a tool that if made use of, can be profoundly effective and help bridge you to success.


Personally, I know the first year of university was a large transition, going from home where all of my laundry was done for me, food was cooked for me, and I didn't have to worry much about keeping my room that clean or tidy. However, this whole world changed as soon as I stepped into the university campus. I had to do my own laundry year-round, cook food to some extent along with ordering from outside, and attempt to make my room clean and tidy so that psychologically I feel relaxed and so that I can move around the room without any trouble. Honestly, it was definitely a good change and I was happy I went through this transition because it made me more independent, made me grow as a person, and most importantly developed my time management skills.

As you can imagine, my time management was not the best in the first year of university, and so was my grades. My grades weren't bad but it wasn't my best year and part of it had to do with time management and getting used to the university environment and system. I did thankfully improve a lot in the years that followed, getting more acquainted to the university and managing my time more efficiently. Other than all the chores you have to do in the dormitory, you have to also balance between your social life and academic life, which can get really hard sometimes. Anyway, after getting the hang of things I performed much better in my studies, the chores became an integrated part of my daily routine, and I even had time to exercise and go to the gym.

The above is just one stage in life where time management is really essential and vital especially if you want to be successful and achieve good grades and honors. Time management is probably even more needed when it comes to working and caring for a whole family. You'd have to manage between the wife, kids, work, house, basic needs, and many other aspects. If you don't have an agenda or a way to keep track of things and manage your time, things will just slip away and you might forget you had an appointment with someone so things will just get messy. You might even end up in an argument with a friend because you forgot you were going to meet up with them that day.

I know that's also easier said than done, but one thing we're all sure of is that successful people all have time management skills or hire someone with such skills because they know how important it is for their success.

Note: Have an opinion or an experience with this topic and want to be part of the discussion? Feel free to share your point of view and share your voice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment