Friday 13 February 2015

Just Be Yourself

I'm going to start off with a quote I really like addressing the topic of being yourself and not resorting to be anyone else you are not. This quote is by the Irish write and poet, Oscar Wilde, and goes as follows: "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." This is a really funny quote and promotes a very important paradigm.



The quote really speaks for itself in his truth because really, you can't do a better job pretending to be someone else as you do just being yourself. I mean, why do you even need to wear an invisible mask and pretend being someone else? You might tell me, well probably for fame, to fit in, to impress someone, to get a job.. All these answers are just justifications for being someone else I feel. Regarding fame, if you want to become a singer for instance, your fans would really want to see the true you, the person whose music they'd buy and listen too, the way you carry yourself off the stage, etc. Pretending could work for some period of time, but the one time you return back to your shell, you might do something differently and all eyes will be on you and you might end up messing up.


If your pretending and being someone else to be able to fit in a certain group, are you doing so because they won't accept the real you? Well, you'll definitely find a group that will embrace you for who you are and what you add to the table. You don't need to go through the trouble and distress of being someone else which might also conflict with customs and traditions and lead you to a dark hole.

The way I look at this issue is by asking myself: "Why do I need to put in all this hard work of pretending everyday that I'm a certain type of person while I'm not instead of just being comfortable in my own character and skin and carrying myself around the way I really am and doing so effortlessly? Whoever doesn't respect you for who you are doesn't qualify and deserve to even have you around them and benefit from what you provide.

I know it's definitely more easily said than done and we've all been in such situations of discomfort and internal conflict but there is always room to learn from mistakes. Go with your gut feeling about a certain place or group and simulate your actions before actually doing them. I know I've been in situations where people would be smoking and whatever... but I never was influenced or pressured to do that stuff just to be more social or to fit in more. There are far more important aspects to worry about and for me I guess I cared more about my health, family, and just considered the way I was brought up and that kept me away.

At the end, it's our choices and decisions that define us sometimes and really presents our essence, so it's your responsibility to act and behave the way you'd like to be talked about and remembered...

Note: Please feel free to share your thoughts about this topic and maybe even personal experiences.. It might help someone get to a better place!

4 comments:

  1. Can you clarify it a little bit more

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main idea here is that you should always just be yourself, act that way, and portray yourself in the same way not worrying about what others will think or feel about you :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fahim.. appreciate it! If you like it, feel free to share it, subscribe, etc..

    ReplyDelete